by BAR editor and senior columnist Margaret Kimberley
How much do you really know about what's happening in the world. Depending on your level of immersion in corporate media, your relationship with reality may be quite tenuous. The problem is made especially difficult by the nonsensical language employed by people in power. For example, Condoleezza Rice speaks of an American "birth defect." Is she talking about herself, or does the statement contain levels of previously undiscovered wisdom on her part? And how many times can Barack Obama insult an old friend before it appears they never were friends, after all - or that Obama has problems defining friendship? Dive into Margaret Kimberley's spring ruling class madness quiz. Confirm whether or not insanity is verbally contagious.
Freedom Rider: Twenty Questions
by Margaret Kimberley
"One might rely on the corporate media for information, but that is a losing proposition."
Who will be the next president of the United States? Will Bush cause World War III before he leaves office? Will there be a recession or perhaps even a depression?
This is not the time for blissful ignorance. In 2008 it is imperative that every good citizen know what is going on in America and throughout the world. One might rely on the corporate media for information, but that is a losing proposition. You have come to the right place, Black Agenda Report, for information you won't find anywhere else.
There is a simple way to find out if you are really paying attention. Take this test, the spring edition of the Black Agenda Report pop quiz. Don't worry if you don't do so well. You will have more opportunities to sharpen your level of knowledge before January 1.
The spring 2008 pop quiz is hereby submitted for your approval. Good luck.
1. What was Condi Rice referring to when she spoke of America's "birth defect?"
George W. Bush's birth
Her own birth
2. Who said it is easier for a black man to be elected president than a white woman?
All of the above
3. Did Iraqi police in Basra switch sides and join the Mahdi army when ordered to fight them?
4. When informed by a reporter that two-thirds of Americans think the Iraq war is "not worth fighting" Dick Cheney replied:
"Let impeachment begin."
5. Who informed the FBI that New York Governor Eliot Spitzer was involved with prostitutes?
Roger Stone, who stopped the Florida vote count in 2000
Roger Stone, Nixonian dirty trickster
Roger Stone, who raised funds for Al Sharpton's 2004 presidential campaign
All of the above
6. Who is running the campaign Hillary Clinton was supposed to win easily?
Penn and Teller
7. Which comment was the most likely cause of the ouster of former Obama aide Samantha Power?
Hillary Clinton is a monster
Obama's plan to draw down troops in Iraq is a "best case scenario"
8. Which of the following is not a comment made by Barack Obama about Rev. Jeremiah Wright?
He is like "an old uncle you don't always agree with"
His views "rightly offend black and white alike"
His comments were "not only wrong but divisive"
Wright? Never heard of him.
9. The recent "Winter Soldier" hearings featured testimony from U.S. veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan revealing atrocities committed against civilians. Which network covered the hearings?
None of the above
10. Which Democratic presidential candidate promised to "return to the realistic policy of George Bush's father, of John F. Kennedy, of, in some ways, Ronald Reagan?"
11. Who claimed to be a target of sniper fire in Bosnia?
12. Which of the following is not a John McCain statement?
There will be more wars
100 years in Iraq would be fine with me
I don't know much about the economy
Bosnian snipers shot at me
13. The defense industry has given more money to which party in the 2008 campaign?
14. Bush ally Colombia sent troops into Ecuador yet Bush condemned Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez. Who joined in the condemnation?
All of the above
15. Which European head of state joined George W. Bush in claiming that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons?
All of the above
16. The U.S. government provides more aid to Israel than to the rest of the world combined.
17. Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who joined Bush in occupying Iraq, will teach religion at Yale University.
18. Who called Bill Richardson a "Judas" for endorsing Barack Obama.
19. Congressman John Conyers promised to hold impeachment hearings if Bush commits which act?
Declares martial law
20. Stores in New York City are accepting euros in lieu of the dollar.
2. All of the above
5. All of the above
6. Mark Penn
7. Troop draw down is a "best case scenario"
8. Wright? Never heard of him.
9. None of the above
10. Barack Obama
11. Hillary Clinton
12. Bosnian snipers shot at me
14. All of the above
15. All of the above
18. James Carville
19. Attacks Iran
Margaret Kimberley's Freedom Rider column appears weekly in BAR. Ms. Kimberley lives in New York City, and can be reached via e-Mail at Margaret.Kimberley(at)BlackAgandaReport.Com. Ms. Kimberley maintains an edifying and frequently updated blog at freedomrider.blogspot.com. More of her work is also available at her Black Agenda Report archive page.