Black Agenda Report
Black Agenda Report
News, commentary and analysis from the black left.

  • Home
  • Africa
  • African America
  • Education
  • Environment
  • International
  • Media and Culture
  • Political Economy
  • Radio
  • US Politics
  • War and Empire

Despite the Efforts of the Opposition, Over 8 Million People Voted for the Constituent Assembly in Venezuela
Resumen Latinoamericano
01 Aug 2017
🖨️ Print Article
venezuela vote
Venezuelan voters

The government of President Nicolás Maduro claims more than 41 percent of registered voters went to the polls to elect candidates for a National Constituent Assembly that will rewrite Venezuela’s Constitution. The right-wing opposition attempted to disrupt the process. “Polls were open until 10pm to allow everyone to vote, because many government supporters had been prevented to vote in their designated centers by the opposition.”

Despite the Efforts of the Opposition, Over 8 Million People Voted for the Constituent Assembly in Venezuela

by Resumen Latinoamericano

This article previously appeared in The Dawn News.

“The massive turnout gives the Constituent Assembly ‘the strength of legitimacy.’”

The President of the CNE, Tibisay Lucena, announced the election results. 41,53% of the people registered to vote attended the polls to cast their vote on the National Constituent Assembly promoted by the legitimate President Nicolás Maduro.

Around 8 million 89 thousand 230 Venezuelans said Yes to the Constituent, Yes to the Bolivarian Revolution.

“We all won, within the democratic framework,” said the President of the National Electoral Council. “We congratulate the people of Venezuela for this wonderful participation”.

She explained that the polls were open until 10pm to allow everyone to vote, because many government supporters had been prevented to vote in their designated centers by the opposition. Nevertheless, Lucena noted that the Venezuelan people were patient and voted in peace.

“This unusual, extraordinary, unique and unexpected vote is a victory of peace,” she added.

Nicolás Maduro said: “This is the biggest election held by the Revolution in all of its history. He who has eyes can see it, he who has ears can hear it!”

He highlighted that the massive turnout gives the Constituent Assembly “the strength of legitimacy.” This allows the government to legally carry on with the process to pass a new Constitution.

The Opposition Rejected Dialogue

Maduro also spoke about the Venezuelan opposition, which had made calls to violence and carried out attacks and anti-democratic actions in 200 voting centers around the country.

Maduro revealed that a Government delegation had been meeting opposition leaders for several weeks, including the President of the Parliament, Julio Borges, to try to get them on board with the Constituent process.

“Two weeks ago I offered them to participate as candidates in the Constituent process. But they refused”, he said.

Twenty-one government officials were injured by firearms, a voting school in the Pascua Valley was attacked with two grenades, and a sub-sergeant of the National Bolivarian Guard was killed.

Venezulea

Do you need and appreciate Black Agenda Report articles? Please click on the DONATE icon, and help us out, if you can.


More Stories


  • No COINTELPRO in DC
    Pan-African Community Action PACA
    No COINTELPRO in DC
    15 Jun 2022
    April Goggans is an organizer with Black Lives Matter in Washington DC. After years of FOIA requests she has been granted a hearing to determine if the Metropolitan Police Department are required to…
  • The Soweto Uprising’s Unfinished Business
    Mark P. Fancher
    The Soweto Uprising’s Unfinished Business
    15 Jun 2022
    Worldwide outrage over the killing of Soweto youth protesting on June 16, 1976 was a turning point in South African history. But the end of apartheid was not the end of racist oppression or corporate…
  • Leaders of the Americas and the Caribbean Miss Historical Opportunity to Deal Blow to US Imperialism
    Gerald A. Perreira
    Leaders of the Americas and the Caribbean Miss Historical Opportunity to Deal Blow to US Imperialism
    15 Jun 2022
    The U.S. excluded Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela from the recent Summit of the Americas held in Los Angeles. While there was widespread condemnation against the U.S., only six heads of state had the…
  • AFRICOM Watch Bulletin #40
    Black Alliance For Peace
    AFRICOM Watch Bulletin #40
    15 Jun 2022
    The latest Black Alliance for Peace AFRICOM Watch Bulletin provides analysis of the U.S. Southern Command and includes an interview with Ahjamu Uni, organizer with the All African People's…
  • New Bill That Passed House Reinvokes Old Russian Bogeyman as Pretext For More U.S. Intervention in Africa
    Richard Dunn
    New Bill That Passed House Reinvokes Old Russian Bogeyman as Pretext For More U.S. Intervention in Africa
    15 Jun 2022
    Democrats and republicans alike supported a bil to "counter malign Russian influence in Africa." Such legislation is reminiscent of the worst days of the cold war. Now a member of the Congressional…
  • Load More
Subscribe
connect with us
about us
contact us