Black Agenda Report
Black Agenda Report
News, commentary and analysis from the black left.

  • Home
  • Africa
  • African America
  • Education
  • Environment
  • International
  • Media and Culture
  • Political Economy
  • Radio
  • US Politics
  • War and Empire

Venezuelan Government and Opposition Sign ‘Social Agreement’, US Approves Chevron License
Andreína Chávez Alava
30 Nov 2022
🖨️ Print Article
Venezuelan Government and Opposition Sign ‘Social Agreement’, US Approves Chevron License
Jorge Rodriguez, President of Venezuela's Congress and Head of Nicolas Maduro's negotiating team arrives in Mexico City for meetings with opposition. (Photo: REUTERS/Paola Garcia)

The US desire to secure Venezuela's oil has resulted in the easing of the diplomatic and commercial "maximum pressure" campaign. The Venezuelan government was resolute in its fight for sovereignty.



This article was originally published in Venezuelanalysis.

The Nicolás Maduro government and the US-backed rightwing opposition have signed a partial agreement focused on social issues following the resumption of the dialogue process.

After a year-long hiatus, the government delegation disclosed that the agreement had been “exhaustively discussed” in Caracas with Norway as a mediator. On Saturday, they traveled to Mexico City to present a new deal that relates to the management of US $3 billion in Venezuelan funds seized by Washington. The document established a joint commission to follow and verify the correct implementation of the agreement.

According to a communique by the government delegation, the United Nations (UN) will be in charge of distributing the funds to address the Venezuelan people's urgent and various social needs. “This agreement expresses the advancement of our people’s right to enjoy their resources, illegally and unjustly blocked [by the US government].”

The statement added that the “rescued resources” will be primarily used to acquire medical equipment as well as vaccines, medicines, and other supplies; strengthen the electric system; repair school infrastructure; expand food programs and attend to the national emergency caused by torrential rains in recent months.

In the communique, the Caracas representatives likewise rejected “the illegal detention of Venezuelan diplomat Alex Saab and once again demand his immediate release and his full incorporation as a [delegation] member.”

The dialogue was suspended when the Maduro administration withdrew from the process in October last year after government envoy Alex Saab was forcefully flown from Cape Verde to the United States to face money laundering charges. In a stop-start trial, Saab’s defense has demanded US courts recognize his diplomatic immunity under the Vienna Convention. The renewed round of talks in Mexico included Saab’s wife and activist Camilla Fabri.

In a press conference, the opposition delegation chief Gerardo Blyde said anti-government factions would now focus on conditions for the upcoming presidential vote. For years, right-wing sectors have carried unsubstantiated “election fraud” claims.

For his part, the head of the government delegation Jorge Rodríguez emphasized that the talks aim to achieve peace and prosperity and that "Venezuelan affairs get settled through dialogue within the framework provided by the Constitution."

"Through this agreement, we will acquire medicines for more than 60,000 cancer patients in Venezuela," stated Rodríguez.

Chevron license

Following the newly signed government-opposition agreement, the US Treasury Department announced the approval of an expanded license to allow US corporation Chevron to resume pumping and commercializing Venezuelan crude from its four-joint ventures in the Caribbean country. According to Reuters, a Chevron spokesperson said the company was reviewing the license terms, with prior reporting suggesting the proceeds will be used to offset Caracas’ roughly $3 billion debt to the oil giant.

"This action reflects longstanding US policy to provide targeted sanctions relief based on concrete steps that alleviate the suffering of the Venezuelan people and support the restoration of democracy," read a statement by the Treasury released on Saturday.

Chevron had been lobbying for a sanctions waiver since last year. In May, Italy’s Eni and Spain’s Repsol obtained oil-for-debt licenses from the US Treasury Department to take Venezuelan crude amidst Europe's energy crunch.

The Nicolás Maduro government has reiteratedly demanded that Washington remove all economic sanctions imposed by the former Trump administration as part of its “maximum pressure” campaign. Recently, US President Joe Biden began to reconsider its Venezuela policy in an attempt to address volatile global energy markets.

Since 2017, Washington has imposed financial sanctions against the Venezuelan state oil company PDVSA followed by a full-fledged oil embargo in 2019 and secondary sanctions and other threats throughout 2020. The measures have crippled the country’s oil output exacerbating an economic crisis.

Andreína Chávez Alava is a Venezuelanalysis.com correspondent.

Venezuela
Nicolas Maduro
Sanctions
Alex Saab

Do you need and appreciate Black Agenda Report articles? Please click on the DONATE icon, and help us out, if you can.


More Stories


  • Message of solidarity on a tent in Gaza
    Women United Against Genocide
    In Solidarity with the Student Protests Against Genocide
    08 May 2024
    Women United Against Genocide issued this statement expressing solidarity with the campus protests calling for divestment from Israel and encouraging communities to provide material support.
  • Rebecca Weiner
    Wyatt Reed , Max Blumenthal
    Columbia Crackdown Led by University Prof. Doubling as NYPD Spook
    08 May 2024
    Rebecca Weiner is a Columbia U. professor who also serves as intelligence director of the NYPD. Mayor Eric Adams credits her with spying on anti-genocide student protesters and directing the…
  • Anti-war march in New York City
    Sara Flounders
    Three U.S. wars Threaten World War Three: $95 Billion Targets Palestine, Iran, Russia and China
    08 May 2024
    The recent aid package passed by the U.S. Congress reveals its true priorities - a multifront war that threatens the stability of the world.
  • Antony Blinken
    Jerry Grey
    The State Department Report on Human Rights
    08 May 2024
    Blinken knew exactly what he was doing. The release of the State Department’s “2023 Country Report” on the eve of his arrival in China was no coincidence.
  • Lloyd Austin
    Orinoco Tribune
    Venezuela’s Vice President: We Must Reject US Militarization in Latin America, CIA Bases in Guyana
    08 May 2024
    United States imperialism in Latin America via SOUTHCOM is threatening the development of a true Zone of Peace in the region.
  • Load More
Subscribe
connect with us
about us
contact us